Monday, November 13, 2006

Small and Wonderful: The Porsche Museum



Living in Stuttgart had one immediate benefit from my perspective: Porsche. Porsche was started in Stuttgart by Dr. Ferdinand Porsche. While they do have several test facilities througout the world, Stuttgart is still their home (and a proud one, too!). We visited the Porsche Museum yesterday (Sunday - some things *ARE* open on Sundays!!), and I had an absolute blast. I love Porsche because they are beautiful cars that are within the reach of everyone, whether new or used. I'm not saying I can afford to buy another FA Porsche vehicle, but maybe someday.. Actually, I'm lucky enough to own one of FA Porsche's originals. My Father and I (well, mostly Dad) restored it to almost 100% over 10 years ago, and it's still stored and driven regularly. The museum gives a nice shout out to these "everyday" Porsche's:









You can't see the split window in the back very well. It's a 1950's Beetle "Split-Window" that is incredibly preserved (or restored). I'll snag a better picture later when I have my tripod.







Here are a few photos of the various cars (in and out) to whet your appetite.

NB: I will not post all photos. If you want to see more, get your butts over here and I'll take you - it's my treat! :)

959 - pearl white. This was the quintessential Porsche SuperCar until the Carrera GT was released in '04:
















Some lucky Porsche Intern got this crazy fun job. This is the new Porsche Cayman, a model designed to sit between the lower-end Boxter (still a great car) and the essential Porsche 911. I bet Thorr would love this job: Here, take this dremel and run! (I know the cutaway was probably performed with a saw or laser, but Thorr does love his Dremel):
















This is the first thing I saw as I entered the museum: Death on Wheels. Not sure why they don't have an actual Porsche 356 in front of the Der Porsche 356 display....
















SECRET PHOTO OP!!



We think this is a Porsche engineering (test) car. Note the different body panels (front and rear quarter) and masking. There were TONS of these... maybe the panels are about to be removed and replaced to sell the car?







Enjoy these until the time you and I go together! :)

No comments: