Saturday, December 09, 2006

I Lost Many Hairs

Before turning into Cousin IT I decided it was best to get my hairs cut. Svelt Guillaume suggested a local Stuttgart salon that he's had good luck with so I gave it a shot. Appointment set, check. Waited for the day and hopped on the train, check. Arrived to learn the stylist doesn't speak a word of English.. .. umm.. no check. Well, life is a big adventure, right? Check.

Waiting for my turn I picked out a picture in the German Men's Health and brought it to Ulvi (the stylist). The wife confirmed the picture (seriously, who wouldn't like to have David Beckham's hair?), so I felt right on track, and when Ulvi called me back to the chair I was in for quite a treat. Ulvi is an artist, which drastically sets him apart from other people to have cut my hair in the past. He took his time and did a fantastic job. Interestingly though were the advanced techniques yet unknown to the sister industry in America...

(a) Ulvi cut my hair dry.. No wash before, just a few spritz' from the water bottle.

(b) Next, a long gentle wash which included a head massage.. .awesome!

(c) Patting my hair somewhat dry, Ulvi massaged in some masculine hair tonic. Didn't see that one comin..

Then it happened.. Through our translator I mentioned the "eyebrow job" that Guillaume talked about (you cry, he said). You see, some guys get their eyebrows plucked to be less wooly-mammoth and more Pierce Brosnan. I figured what the hell, go for it.

Ulvi's eyes widened and what he said was translated to: are you sure? this isn't your grandma's eyebrow plucking you know..

Heck yes I'm in.. Let's do it! and off he went. No tweezers at first, only two pieces of string with one end between his teeth and the other in his hand. Somehow he zipped the second string along the first and it plucked out the general form of his artistic intention. After pruning the bulk he resorted to plucking with tweezers to finish the job. I have to say the individual plucking was worse, because it was so slow. Maybe some of you fellow men have experienced this style before.. I for one am happy to still have eyebrows..

but hey, we're not done!

(d) then, after the shock of eyebrow plucking, he pulled out a lighter, struck a massive flame and whipped past my ears to burn the old man hairs from them! DEFINITELY DIDNT EXPECT THAT ONE.

(e) then he almost topped that by grabbing the tip of my nose, guiding my head upwards, and trimming my NOSE hairs with clippers (fresh from trimming the obvious "you need a haircut" neck hairs).

(f) Finally, the usual styling of hairs and acceptance of money. :)

It was actually a pretty solid experience. I'm planning to go back because they not only did a great job but surprised the hell out of me in a postive way. If any of you are in need of a hair cut when you come to visit............

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where are the before and after pics?