Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Herzlich Wilkommen!

Oh my goodness, we made it! It only took 18 hours of travel time and 300 lbs. of luggage. :)

We are doing well here in Stuttgart...just adjusting to the jet lag and re-acquainting ourselves with the city. Apparently my reputation has preceded me, because my first day at the lab I was asked, "Are you really the niece of Al Gore?". Haven't decided yet if I should refute that or not - could be fun.

The weather here is like a crisp fall day with beautiful, multi-colored leaves covering the surrounding hills. I think we're gonna like it here. I missed having hills and forrests while living in Illinois. A girl can only take so many corn fields in a lifetime!

For those who were worried about the kitty, she made the journey just fine. She seems to also be a little jet-lagged, but she's happy to explore a new apartment, and now has a lovely garden view to gaze at each day. We bought her some German cat food called Brekkies, so hopefully she'll like it.

Not too many crazy cultural differences to note so far, except that deodorant here only comes in roll-on and aerosol. Same brands, mostly, just different ways to apply them. Oh, and it turns out they do have peanut butter here, but it's crazy expensive. We've decided to wait on that investment. Maybe Santa will put some Peter Pan PB in our stockings.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Bis später,
Blythe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that you made it! I'm looking forward to future installments!

(And PB is fine and all, but have you found good coffee?)